What Is Polar ICE Challenge?
The Polar ICE (Innovative Community Engagement) Challenge is a project under the platform of the Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MOSTI) Social Innovation Fund (MSI). It plays a crucial part in informing and influencing the public's understanding towards the science and awareness in Polar Regions (Arctic and Antarctic). The opportunities for Malaysians to travel to Polar Regions for scientific research or exploration are limited and vary each year with strong competition. MOSTI, through Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan (YPASM) as organiser and Lembaga Pembangunan Seni Visual Negara (LPSVN) as collaborator, is looking for applications from creative community to propose an Innovative Community Engagement project which includes passionately sharing the importance of Polar Regions and communicating this message to Malaysian stakeholders and communities.
- Malaysian citizen and currently living in Malaysia.
- Must be at the age of 18 years and above at the time of application and capable to conduct moderate physical activities during the expedition with a good medical condition.
- Winner is expected to share the experience with his/her community; must be ready for media interviews and required to submit written report with good quality photos and videos upon his/her return from the expedition.
- Applicants must possess a valid Malaysia passport and able to leave Malaysia for 11-day expedition to Antarctica (excluding travel to and from Ushuaia, Argentina).
- Applications must be from creative community, such as: Television and radio journalists, news crews, print journalists and photographers, freelance writers and photographers, as well as film and documentary makers.
- Applications can be in creative forms such as: Digital media, graphic art, history, history of science, painting, illustration, scientific writing, literature, poetry, musical composition, photography, science fiction, sculpture, and web exhibition.
- Submit the complete application and full proposal by the deadline: 25 January 2017
- Demonstrate your ability to raise awareness and understanding around YPASM activities, including the science we support in Polar Regions.
- Provide statistics to support your objectives and outreach capability. Present a novel and innovative approach to engaging the community.
- Demonstrate examples of work focusing on arts, science or environmental topics.
- Project must be demand driven, sustainable, low cost, quick-win, high impact and rapid.
Please download here :