YPASM is introducing Berth Support to Antarctica to encourage Malaysian researchers to conduct their research activities in Antarctica through a MoU signed between YPASM and British Antarctic Survey (BAS) over the period 2019-2024 and through collaboration Malaysian researchers established with any SCAR Member Countries.
2. Purpose of the Call
- YPASM seeks for application from Malaysian researchers to undertake field work at BAS Research Stations (Signy or Rothera), or any of their collaborator’s research stations in Antarctica for the 2019/2020 Antarctic summer season.
- The application is ONLY open to all Malaysian researchers from universities participating in the YPASM Smart Partnership Initiative, namely Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), International Medical University (IMU) and Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT).
3. Offer details
A) Berth Support through British Antarctic Survey (BAS)
- YPASM will make an annual contribution of £26,825 to BAS for each Malaysian scientist visiting BAS station during the Antarctic summer session. Two (2) Malaysian researchers are expected to visit the station every year.
- The works of the researcher would be based on activities at the stations and day trips form the station. Any activities extending beyond this (e.g. ship cruises, air support or extended field work periods away from stations) would require a separate financial contribution by the researcher, to be agreed in the LoU covering that specific project.
- Researcher should pay for the expenses as per below;
1) Flights for Malaysian personnel between the UK and the Falkland Islands and/or Punta Arenas (in transit to/from Antarctica) at the BAS concession fare rate.
2) Travel and subsistence expenses for Malaysian personnel when in transit to/from Antarctica (e.g. in the Falklands/Punta Arenas) and when visiting or working at Cambridge or attending BAS courses in the UK.
3) Freight costs of all Malaysian equipment up to the point where the freight is embarked on a BAS ship or aircraft.
4) Hire of polar clothing required for station and field use.
- Planning Schedules for Malaysian participation in BAS Expedition 2019/2020 can be downloaded here
How to Apply:
- Discuss project idea with BAS and submit BAS Pre-Award OSPQ. Deadline: 19 December 2018
1) Prospective researchers to discuss initial idea with potential BAS Co-Investigator. You may find them here,or contact or should you need help with this.
2) All applicants whose intended to include fieldwork in the Antarctic (Signy or Rothera station) must complete a ‘Pre Award Operational Support Planning Questionnaire (OSPQ)’ by BAS prior to the submission of application. To complete a new questionnaire, you may email the Polar Funding Office at BAS () stating your name, institution and proposal title. They will set up a new questionnaire and send you the link along with instructions for completion.
3) Pre Award OSPQs feedback is supplied to applicants, from NERC Head Office by 21st January 2019. Once approved, NERC will send you a PDF version of your ‘Pre Award OSPQ’ which must be include as an attachment for your application to YPASM.
- Submit Project Proposal to YPASM. Deadline: 31 January 2019
If your Pre-Award OSPQ is approved, you may proceed to submit the required documents to YPASM via email toand
1) LoU from BAS Co-Investigator(s)
2) Approved Pre-Award OSPQ
3) Project Objectives
4) Project Funding
- Complete BAS Post-Award OSPQ. Deadline: 31 March 2019
Applicants with Prioritised Project to complete Post-Award OSPQ with BAS Co-Investigator support.
B) Berth Support through SCAR Member Countries
- Applicant must already identified collaborator(s) and having research projects with secured placement in collaborator’s research station in Antarctica.
- Collaborator(s) can be any institution from any SCAR Member Countries.
- Field work must be committed during 2019/2020 Antarctic summer season only.
- YPASM will fund up to RM55,000.00 for cost of field work including following categories only;
1) Return economy-class airfare from Kuala Lumpur to the collaborator’s country and/or any departure points to Antarctica;
2) Subsistence expenses;
3) Freight costs; and
4) Rental of polar clothing for field use.
How to Apply:
- Identify collaborator from any SCAR Member Countries and secure your placement.
Prospective researchers may identify potential collaborator and discuss initial idea. You may contact or should you need help with this. Please make sure you can secure your placement in the Antarctic research station during 2019/2020 Antarctic summer season.
- Submit application to YPASM. Deadline: 31 March 2019
Applicants should complete and submit the following documents in PDF format:
1) Application Form
2) Project Proposal with detailed budget;
3) Cover Note and Acceptance Letter– Collaborator’s Agreement to host the applicant in Antarctica; and
4) CV of applicant
How to apply?
1. 2017/2018 | No recipient
2. 2016/2017 | Click here for details
- Shoba Mary Thomas
- Dr. Siti Aqlima Ahmad
3. 2015/2016 | Click here for details
4. 2014/2015 | Click here for details
5. 2013/2014 | Click here for details